5 Signs You Should Get Dental Implants
When you are missing a tooth or teeth, people often think that they must rely on traditional dentures and dental bridges to fill in the gaps. Dental implants are another option that offers a host of benefits. At Jovan Prosthodontics in Round Rock, TX, we offer a range of restorative treatments, including dental implants, so you can enjoy optional oral health and function. We are here to guide you through each step of the process to help determine if dental implants are the right choice for you. But what are dental implants, and what are some signs that you should get them?
Dental implants are titanium or ceramic posts that support dentures, dental crowns, and bridges. They offer optimal stability as well as stimulation to the jawbone to keep it healthy.
What Are 5 Signs I Should Get Dental Implants?
Dental work can seem a bit overwhelming. However, the numerous benefits of dental implants make them a fantastic restorative dentistry treatment option for patients. Here are five signs you should consider dental implants:
- You Are Missing Teeth- Even a single missing tooth can cause jawbone deterioration. When you lose a tooth, the jaw no longer receives stimulation from that tooth root, and it can begin to atrophy. Dental implants are a great option for patients missing one, multiple, or all of their teeth.
- You Have Loose Dentures- If you have a traditional set of dentures, you may find that your dentures are not quite as secure as they used to be. This could be a sign of jawbone deterioration. Dental implants can stop this process and prevent further bone loss.
- You Have a Tooth or Teeth That Are Damaged or Decayed Beyond Repair- With a damaged or decayed tooth, we will always try to save the tooth structure first. However, sometimes the damage or decay is so severe that the only option is to extract the tooth to prevent further oral health issues. Dental implants and a custom restoration can fill in the gap after the extraction to keep your jaw healthy and restore your oral function.
- You Have Signs of Jawbone Deterioration- Loose dentures are not the only sign you may be experiencing jawbone recession. Sunken facial features, loose teeth, and jaw pain can be signs of jawbone deterioration. With prompt treatment, dental implants can stop this process and can prevent the need for bone grafting later. This can save you time and money later down the road.
- You Have a Traditional Restoration that Needs Replacing- If you have an older restoration like a traditional denture, dental bridge, or crown, replacing it with an implant-supported restoration can help keep your jaw healthy.
What Are the Benefits of Implant-Supported Restorations?
There are many benefits to restorations supported by dental implants versus traditional restorations. These benefits include:
- Maximum Stability- Traditional dentures require messy denture adhesive. This means your dentures can slip when you eat or speak. Because your implant-supported dentures are not removable and secured to the implants, there is no risk of slippage.
- Jawbone Health- Dental implants are the only restorative dentistry procedure that can stop and prevent jawbone atrophy. When you chew or speak, the implant post acts just like your tooth roots to stimulate the jaw and keep it healthy. If you have remaining natural teeth, a healthy jaw can prevent further tooth loss.
- Restored Oral Function- Missing teeth can make it difficult to eat and speak properly. Dental implants and custom restorations can fill in the gap or replace an entire arch of missing teeth so you can eat and speak with confidence once more.
- Restored Appearance- Missing teeth can not only impact your oral health and function, but it can also cause you to hide your smile. Dental implants and a custom restoration can not only restore your oral function, but they can restore the appearance of your smile. They function and look just like natural teeth.
What If I Have Been Told I Don't Qualify for Dental Implants?
At Jovan Prosthodontics, we pride ourselves on helping patients achieve functional, healthy, and beautiful smiles. Often, patients come to our practice and say they have been told that they do not qualify for dental implants due to existing bone atrophy. However, that might not be the case. Using the All-on-4® method, even patients with some level of bone loss can benefit from dental implants. This method uses four strategically placed posts to maximize your existing bone material.
However, for those with extensive jawbone deterioration, bone grafting may be needed before dental implant placement. This is simply because even All-on-4 implants require a certain amount of bon. Once bone grafting is completed and you are healed, our Round Rock dental practice can help you prevent further bone loss by placing dental implants.
Need Dental Implants but Concerned About Cost?
Because dental implants aren’t typically covered by dental insurance, we understand that they are an investment. However, while dental implants may cost more than traditional restorations initially, they can save you time and money later. By investing in dental implants early and preventing bone atrophy, we can help you prevent the need for bone grafting later. For those who still have remaining natural teeth, implants can help keep the jaw healthy which can prevent further tooth loss later.
While we are a fee-for-service practice and most insurance providers do not cover the implants themselves, most do cover certain aspects of dental implant treatment such as the restoration. We will gladly file your insurance claim at the completion of your treatment for direct reimbursement. We accept multiple forms of payment, including Proceed Finance® and CareCredit®.
Don’t Wait! Get Started Today.
Time is of the essence when it comes to tooth loss. The longer you wait, the more time your jaw has to deteriorate. Using advanced techniques and technology, we can help you restore your oral health and function with a beautiful smile you can’t help but share with the world. Scared of the dentist? We can help with sedation options to ensure you are completely comfortable during your implant treatment. Get started on your implant journey by requesting a consultation at our practice in Round Rock, TX, today.
About Ace Jovanovski, DMD
Dr. Ace Jovanovski is an experienced prosthodontist with a master certificate from the National Board for Certification in Dental Technology. He is a member of the American Dental Association and the American Academy of Implant Dentistry.